Sunday, November 11, 2012

How High Can You Count?

It's been a while since I've had an update; it's not been for the lack of activity so much as the lack of time to sit down, reflect, and write. The days are packed, and I'm re-evaluating current programs for both kids.

Nic is doing well in 7th grade, in spite of himself. Predictably, Executive Function is tripping him up, as is his lack of social finesse. But he's gone to two dances so far this year, bowls, swims, plays soccer and just started CYO basketball. I'm trying to talk him into giving wrestling a try.

Gabriel takes violin and piano lessons in addition to scouts (top popcorn seller in his Pack for the second year in a row; top seller in his den third year in a row). bowling (no bumpers: in Nic's league this year), swimming and soccer. He starts CYO basketball next month.

Sometimes, the social deficit thing overwhelms me. I remind myself constantly to stop comparing; no one is on this particular road but me and my boys; everyone else has his or her own journey, and I don't know what their journeys are about. So stop.

It's so hard to stop when the grass looks greener on the other side of the driveway. But I must.

I can almost hear every teacher I ever had telling me, "Keep your eyes on your own paper."

Yeah. It's like that.

I am amazed at how much ground we've covered; I am painfully aware of how much farther we need to go.

And there is no choice but to keep going.

No comments: