Sunday, June 24, 2012

Leveling Up

The latest, in no particular order:
  • Nic survived his first year of middle school
  • Gabriel enjoyed his week of tae kwon do camp--new actitvity? We'll see
  • Nic is playing township basketball in our neighboring township--and enjoying it
  • Hubby has volunteered to coach CYO soccer
  • Gabriel played his first piano recital
  • Mom ran her first Warrior Dash
  • Mom's also trying her hand at something new professionally

    We've been a little busy. Nic also went over the township pool on his own last week and made a new friend. Sounds like a minor thing, but in my world, all these signs of emerging competence and independence are huge.

    I celebrate my birthday this year by celebrating all the milestones that, 10 years ago, I never thought I'd see. And as my kids discover new skills and abilities, I, too, am finding ways that I need to grow and develop. That we are learning and growing together and individually in tandem with one another is a beautiful thing.

    I haven't figured it all out--I probably never will--but there is a growing peace within me as I recognize a bit more readily what I can control and what I can't.  And understanding that there is very little I can actually control has been very liberating, indeed.
     

No comments: