Saturday, December 4, 2010

Ignorance is......

pervasive? Or bliss?

During a training today, I got hit with this 2 x 4:

Trainer: so we had a boy in our troop with Asperger's, which is a form of autism, the really nasty end of the spectrum....

I found myself speaking: "Excuse me, I have two sons on the autism spectrum, one of whom has Aspergers...."

(Once upon a time, I would have just sat in disbelief and fumed for days after. I think I've been in this position so many times that my mouth starts before it checks in with my brain...)

And didn't she start tripping over herself saying what a great kid he was...but he has behaviors and a temper.

And I said, "I hear what you are saying, but not all children with Aspergers are like that..."

So the question, would she have said any redeeming words about this child had I not spoken up?

Discuss.

(In a larger sense, it matters not. You can't unring a bell.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just had to comment. ROFLMAO...at her ignorance. Asperger's is the nasty end?!? LOL Can she babysit A for an afternoon off his meds?

I always try to approach this kind of thing with humor. I would have been laughing out loud. You handled it better then me. Good for you to try to educate the world. Most days I'm too tired. WTG! Keep up the hard work.

Suzie